Friday, November 19, 2010

First Book!

Hey guys!

So the first book that Korin and I were planning to read is The White Man's Burden, by William Easterly. I realize that some of you may have read it already, so please feel free to put in your two cents about his views too! For those of you reading it for the first time, we figured 4 weeks would be enough time for each book. That will bring us to December 17th for this one. After that, we can use the super-fun Poll gadget on here to let everyone vote on the next book.

In the meantime, feel free to post away - comments/questions as you read, life updates, noteworthy news, and future book recommendations. Hopefully this will be a fun way to stay connected across oceans :) So happy reading and posting!

3 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE this idea and all the suggested books so far, but where are the books by the ladies? I am going to make it my mission to find good sources on this topic by women. Byt he way, I came across this website, www.philanthropyaction.com, which has a lot of information about a variety of topics. It also has a book list that might be useful for us, which can be found here: www.philanthropyaction.com/articles/top_five_books_on_development/ Happy reading my loves, can't wait to get this started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Áine, what a great website! I've added it to the list of websites/bogs on the side bar and I am so excited to poke around there later. More importantly, THANK YOU for pointing out our lack of women voices on the subject, what about a book by Aung San Suu Kyi; Freedom from Fear or Letters from Burma? Thoughts anyone?

    Thanks for the post Crystal, I am so excited to start reading!!

    I am adding everyone as authors as soon as I can get their email addresses, so feel free to post and comment and add books or websites or news articles as you come across them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, excuse the tardiness...I will read the book at some stage!!
    Aine, have a look at Half the Sky, it's by a woman (and her husband!) and focuses on the role of women in development..mainly through education, sex trafficking and GBV and..errr... can't remember the other one! Worth a look though, albeit that I find holes in alot of their arguments, which can also be a little preachy.
    Also, I am thick when it comes to Blogging and no idea how it work most of this thing...so how do I suggest further books?!
    Will add my tuppence worth on Easterly when I get to it...shudder at bad memories of economics papers featuring that gentleam. Ick.
    Bye!!!

    ReplyDelete